Ever since I’ve had disposable income I seem to have amassed cables. As a teenager it was guitar leads and the tools for my youthful indiscretions. On returning from university (well, it was still a polytechnic then), one of my jobs to was do something about the electronic rat king in my bedroom. It had become too tangled and too broken to do anything useful so it went in the bin to start again.
And start again it did. As well as being a failing musician now I had got into computers and guitar leads were joined by computer cables and components, which acreted into another tangled pile that was too intertwined to do anything useful. It went out when I returned to Yorkshire from my sojourn in the capital.
Fast forward another ten years and I’m clearing my house to sell it, and up in the attic is another nest of wires. It still a mystery to me how it piles up. I have bought guitar leads but surely not that many. My home has been wirelessly networked for years, and yet there are miles of CAT-5. It’s going in the bin again because there’s no room for it, and indeed no need for most of it.
The true explanation is of course that I’m naturally untidy and things tend to get pushed out of the way when I don’t use them, which is probably a metaphor in itself. I’d like to think that it’s not more complicated that and that things could be made better with a few hooks and clothes pegs. So if you’ll excuse me, I’ll have to go and sort out the skeletons in my cupboard.
May 2017 M T W T F S S « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Maths6music AJAX BBC birmingham casuals christmas consumerism conversal cream CV daily post deeva development django editorial eucalyptus fashion film flat roofed flickr food Google Maps API hello world hometourist indian restaurant indiegogo Internet Explorer jgrowl jquery JSON leeds leeds tiger libraries ls28 masterchef mayor menthol messages museum music my untidy mind Newcastle news politics pubs python quota quickies radio rant raspberry pi razor blades real ale recruitment recruitment agencies Riverside saltaire savegdnleeds setup shaving soap telly savalas templates the 1980s tunis cake tv unemployment unemployment. moving on west yorkshire
- @AlanKelloggs this is it though, there's evidence emerging that they are being radicalised using the same methods and to the same ends. 4 hours ago
- @AlanKelloggs look at his happy little face! 13 hours ago
- @alistaircoleman they're the fellas who process Kim's stools, hard at work. 13 hours ago
- @barneyfarmer don't honour her with a title, she creates division to pay her mortgage and is diminished when ignored. 14 hours ago
- RT @Simon_Pegg: 1/n A thought on those sharing the 'screengrabs' of the Hopkins tweet: This is her new tactic. She's done it before since… 15 hours ago