Ever since I’ve had disposable income I seem to have amassed cables. As a teenager it was guitar leads and the tools for my youthful indiscretions. On returning from university (well, it was still a polytechnic then), one of my jobs to was do something about the electronic rat king in my bedroom. It had become too tangled and too broken to do anything useful so it went in the bin to start again.
And start again it did. As well as being a failing musician now I had got into computers and guitar leads were joined by computer cables and components, which acreted into another tangled pile that was too intertwined to do anything useful. It went out when I returned to Yorkshire from my sojourn in the capital.
Fast forward another ten years and I’m clearing my house to sell it, and up in the attic is another nest of wires. It still a mystery to me how it piles up. I have bought guitar leads but surely not that many. My home has been wirelessly networked for years, and yet there are miles of CAT-5. It’s going in the bin again because there’s no room for it, and indeed no need for most of it.
The true explanation is of course that I’m naturally untidy and things tend to get pushed out of the way when I don’t use them, which is probably a metaphor in itself. I’d like to think that it’s not more complicated that and that things could be made better with a few hooks and clothes pegs. So if you’ll excuse me, I’ll have to go and sort out the skeletons in my cupboard.
June 2018 M T W T F S S « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Maths6music AJAX BBC birmingham casuals christmas consumerism conversal cream CV daily post deeva development django editorial eucalyptus fashion film flat roofed flickr food Google Maps API hello world hometourist indian restaurant indiegogo Internet Explorer jgrowl jquery JSON leeds leeds tiger libraries ls28 masterchef mayor menthol messages museum music my untidy mind Newcastle news politics pubs python quota quickies radio rant raspberry pi razor blades real ale recruitment recruitment agencies Riverside saltaire savegdnleeds setup shaving soap telly savalas templates the 1980s tunis cake tv unemployment unemployment. moving on west yorkshire
- This has me wondering about a pattern to the PMBs that have been talked out in recent years: were they all introduc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- Interesting kraut/psych/kosmische comp from a label that seems to have a lot to be interested about: bit.ly/2ysP48G 13 hours ago
- @IMcMillan quite possibly the angriest bus drivers in the world. Although that could just have been at 8:30 and 3:30 Monday - Friday. 14 hours ago
- They've obviously got nothing else on just now... twitter.com/politicshome/s… 14 hours ago
- @TechnicallyRon "This is my great-grandson, Mr Trump.. Bet you wouldn't put him in a fucking cage, would you?" 17 hours ago